Welcome to Spurs Web

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamesinashby

A PLEA TO GET THE NEWBIES INVOLVED

Started by Jamesinashby,

This year we have welcomed around 20 new members to our forum. In the 2 years since becoming a member and taking part by putting threads and posts on here, for me it has transformed my life and increased my enjoyment of following the team I love enormously. Prior to that I had used the forum simply as a guest without being involved in that which I had bee reading. It was interesting but impersonal, like reading it in the paper. Now it is something akin to being with friends and having chats with them. There are some two dozen regular posters on here who I regard as friends albeit never having met them face to face. On days when I was not feeling my best, I would get on here and get involved with personally with my friends. In the early days there was a lot of banter and leg pulling adding fun to the forum. on occasions, when a regular poster hadn't put up anything for a we days there would be others on here asking about them. we had our tiffs at times - but with gentle reminders from the Moderators, we made up and continued as friends do.

This year, for reasons I cannot fathom out why, much of this camaraderie has fallen away. Indeed some of the popular posters have actually left. I am finding this sad and missing the 'chumminess' of how it was last year. As to simply read and not become involved can be achieved simply by signing in as a guest, I am somewhat puzzled by those who join, yet are reluctant to participate in the discussions. As odd and unbelievable as it may seem, I have actually improved my contentment with life since joining the forum. I don't want to mention them all by name for fear of leaving some out - not wishing to offend anyone. However, I now don't just look in every day but several times during the day. I get real pleasure when I see someone has responded to one of my posts - doubly so if I have received a 'like'. I am grateful to many of those replies with different views to mine and it has helped me see things more clearway. I had a lot of fun being chided for sitting on the fence with the clever jokes about it from the more gifted comics on here.

My plea to you 'newbies' is to take up the challenge to post more - reply to others views either agreeing or offering other ways to look at it. Don't feel worried about the reaction - you are amongst friends. Yes, sometimes a reply could have been couched less persuasively, but imo, it is rarely meant to be hurtful, only that one or the other has interpret ted either the post or the reply a bit to personally. We love humour on here - don't be afraid to take the mick or right something with tongue in cheek. It turns the dull routine replies into funny situations.

Here is my plea. Is it possible you can add one or two threads on subjects that interest you each month? You will probably find out there, there are others on here with similar likes. The same goes for replying to posts,and  'quoting' to posts. When someone adds their thoughts on here,  they aren't just having their say, they're also looking for a response. Like their posts if they correspond to your views and reply with agreement or offering alternative ways to look at it.   

My apologies to any who feel I have overstepped the mark with this thread, it is just an opinion of mine.

COYS

Well said James

Football is always an emotive subject, and this season could end up being emotional as well..... Lets try and get some reactions from more folk.

I've got an idea, I'll post it later.

Jamesinashby and stanmac like this

13 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

Well said James

Football is always an emotive subject, and this season could end up being emotional as well..... Lets try and get some reactions from more folk.

I've got an idea, I'll post it later.

What we need on here is a mixture of both 'reaction' and action from members (both new and old) . For example last month in General Chat there were 45 threads started...of which I contributed 39. I don't mind scouring the internet for stories, statistics or  facts but it would be nice if  people also created a thread about something which interested them and were then able to see other members views and opinions.

What really disappoints is discovering something you think will be topical and then seeing that you attracted perhaps over 100 views but received maybe just one reply or sometimes none at all. I posted a thread recently about Spurs being able to play in the Community Shield match next season if Chelsea win the double. I hadn't realised this until I stumbled across an article on one of the websites. I immediately thought it would make an interesting topic (maybe I was wrong). That thread has already been read just under 30 times but not one response.It's rather like having a house for sale and having lots of viewings but not receiving one actual offer on the property....without negative or positive feedback it is difficult to judge the situation. So please everyone out there join in with the discussions but also have a go at creating a headline for debate yourself. It doesn't necessarily have to comply with your thoughts or opinions (you can clearly state that you don't agree with it if you wish) but if you find something which you think would be of interest to the members then please put it up for debate.

Always remember that threads started on here do not necessarily have to represent the publisher's personal views but are designed to create discussion and general banter which is the lifeblood of such forums.At the moment we are very much reliant on just a few people to maintain a regular supply of subject matter and should those sources ever dry up then so will this blog.

Jamesinashby likes this

I think you have overstepped the mark there James!!! I've not been able to post as much as missus has had an op and can't wait on me hand and foot. I didn't realise how much she does till I've had to do it myself, my only fear is now we know I can do things I might be expected to carry on helping around the home.

Jamesinashby likes this

26 minutes ago, K.D.D.D.D.Soc said:

I think you have overstepped the mark there James!!! I've not been able to post as much as missus has had an op and can't wait on me hand and foot. I didn't realise how much she does till I've had to do it myself, my only fear is now we know I can do things I might be expected to carry on helping around the home.

Oh dear..sounds like you've made a Trump....or created a precedent ...(awful pun)..hope she is on the mend.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Oh dear..sounds like you've made a Trump....or created a precedent ...(awful pun)..hope she is on the mend.

She'll be fine thanks, just a bit of pain and must not put weight on foot. I wouldn't tell her but I've enjoyed doing the cooking, not so keen on the cleaning and ironing.

2 hours ago, K.D.D.D.D.Soc said:

I know the feeling well. I can pass on a tip my Dad gave me as young lad. He said, "Son, when you get married and your wife asks you to do something, make a 'balls up of it'. Do that enough times and she will soon get fed up and doing it herself."

It has worked for me as I constantly plead that, being a mere man, it is beyond my capabilities.   lol

COYS

K.D.D.D.D.Soc and Borodin like this

On 05/05/2017 at 1:56 PM, K.D.D.D.D.Soc said:

She'll be fine thanks, just a bit of pain and must not put weight on foot. I wouldn't tell her but I've enjoyed doing the cooking, not so keen on the cleaning and ironing.

Appoint her as your PA, and dictate your comments for the good lady to post for you......

On 05/05/2017 at 0:03 PM, Borodin said:

Actually, one of your better puns.... Clever as well.....