Welcome to Spurs Web

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tonto911

Any Golfers out there ?

Started by Tonto911,

42 posts in this topic

Been playing 3-4 years, member of local course in Aylesbury, Bucks.
Don't have an official handicap yet, but imagine I'd be a high 20's.

Played the Oxfordshire earlier in the year - wow, just wow.
Playing Pinner on Saturday.

I'm assuming that in asking the question, you play yourself.

stanmac likes this

Yeah, play with myself as well ....lol

I played football until I was 38 and had to give up because of knee problems. Started playing golf in 90s and joined a club in 1994.

Absolutely love it know., and play twice a weekend, and in the week if I can. Still trying to get my handicap down, which fluctuates between 19 and 21 at the moment.....

stanmac likes this

3 hours ago, GPK said:

Been playing 3-4 years, member of local course in Aylesbury, Bucks.
Don't have an official handicap yet, but imagine I'd be a high 20's.

Played the Oxfordshire earlier in the year - wow, just wow.
Playing Pinner on Saturday.

I'm assuming that in asking the question, you play yourself.

Yes, The Oxfordshire is a "wow" course... very long and a good test of golf. I know of Pinner, but never played there.

I am a member at Puttenham GC, which is just outside Guildford.

3 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

Yeah, play with myself as well ....lol

I played football until I was 38 and had to give up because of knee problems. Started playing golf in 90s and joined a club in 1994.

Absolutely love it know., and play twice a weekend, and in the week if I can. Still trying to get my handicap down, which fluctuates between 19 and 21 at the moment.....

They'll take anyone as a member at that Puttenham Club.

Was it one of the Marx Bros that said something like.,,,any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join.

It was always a game that I wanted to play but for some reason never got around to doing.

My eldest so used to play,nothing serious but he used to enjoy it.

Tonto911 likes this

Will be looking for a new club to join sometime in the future as the damn HS2 train track is going to go right through the the middle of the course.
Real shame as, although it's far from the best course in the area, it is literally a 5 minute walk around the corner from my house.

For the golf followers, who are your picks for the US Open this week?
I did well on the masters having a few quid on both Rose and Garcia, and cashed out my Rose bet before the play-off...RESULT!
I tend to do 4 or 5 players each way with a number of bookies offering 1/5th on 8 places.
Will probably have Rose and John Rahm in my selections.

Saw an interesting 10/1 on Michelson actually making the open. For those that don't know, his daughter is getting married this week and unless there is a weather delay, Phil won't get there in time!

9 minutes ago, GPK said:

Will be looking for a new club to join sometime in the future as the damn HS2 train track is going to go right through the the middle of the course.
Real shame as, although it's far from the best course in the area, it is literally a 5 minute walk around the corner from my house.

For the golf followers, who are your picks for the US Open this week?
I did well on the masters having a few quid on both Rose and Garcia, and cashed out my Rose bet before the play-off...RESULT!
I tend to do 4 or 5 players each way with a number of bookies offering 1/5th on 8 places.
Will probably have Rose and John Rahm in my selections.

Saw an interesting 10/1 on Michelson actually making the open. For those that don't know, his daughter is getting married this week and unless there is a weather delay, Phil won't get there in time!

We have a sweepstake at the club, and I sometimes have a go, but never really considered the bookies. Dustin Johnson is probably the favourite, but I have a feeling that Rory and /or Justin will be in there as well.

Garcia might also be more relaxed following his Masters win. Shame sabout your local course, which one is it ?

I love watching the Masters,its probably most people's choice who like golf.

Is it worth having a bet on Rory,,,,I must say the  Sky Sports coverage is brilliant.

I know it's from Wisconsin this year,do they vary the courses for the open.

6 minutes ago, Tonto911 said:

Surrey ain't on the coast.... lol

6 minutes ago, Tonto911 said:

Surrey ain't on the coast.... lol

Hastings is,,,and if it they allowed him to join,,,,,well need I say more.!!,

US Open is hosted at different courses each year and Erin Hills looks brutal.
I never back Rory as he has been pants recently and you rarely get a good price on him.

Re: my Mickelson comment, it's actually his daughter's graduation ceremony tomorrow, not her wedding.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/us-open-phil-mickelson-rain-delay-daughter-s-graduation-erin-hills-wisconsin-a7787746.html

1 minute ago, stanmac said:

Walk!!, I thought it was driving about in them buggy things,

I prefer to use buggies as I have a dodgy ankle that even gives me grief if I do choose the lazy option!

That can't be easy for you GPK,

I'm no golfer but I know that your stance is very important.

It must put you at a disadvantage.

Having thought about it,,,,fancy a game for £1000......lol

The ankle always holds up during the round, it's afterwards that it starts kicking in.
Too much abuse playing 5-a-side and American Football in my younger years.

From Aylesbury, Bucks.

Loved the NFL from a young age and got the chance to play for a team in the UK in the 90's (Oxford Saints).
Played at outside linebacker and wide receiver in my 3 years with the Saints, scoring 1 touchdown and a number of sacks WooHoo!

You must have been chuffed to get the chance to play at such a decent level.

I usually watch the super bowl and we've got a friend in Vegas,originally from Poland who's a San Diego Chargers nut.

If ever you get to go to Vegas,she works at Starbucks at the West Wing in the MGM.Her whole family are Chargers mad.

Perhaps you could get to the Lane and watch a couple of NFL games when it gets up and running.

I'd like to get to see it.I don't know what the set up is regarding what teams will play there.I'd love it if the Chargers got to play there.