Welcome to Spurs Web

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Neophyte

2018 Winter Transfer Window

Started by Neophyte,

239 posts in this topic

Rumors are swirling and the window approaches. For 3 years now Poche and Levy have stood pat through the January Transfer Window despite apparently needs on the pitch and calls from supporters to strengthen. We have the strongest, deepest squad at Tottenham in decades now so will this January be different or more of the same? Should the team add new faces? Subtract one or two? Put everything about the 2018 Winter Transfer Window here! 

IN

Cameron Carter-Vickers - recalled from loan to Sheffield United

Out

Georges-Keven Nkoudou - Loaned to Burnley (no option to buy)

Marcus Edwards - Loaned to Norwich City (no option to buy)

Should any official moves be made, they will be listed right here in the first post once they are confirmed by the club.

Royce 71 likes this

The simple answer is yes we must strengthen the squad. This season is unprecedented in that 6 teams appear to have a squad capable of a top 4 finish. They are more than likely to know this and look to make their squads stronger. We cannot afford not to be in the op 4 ~  it could lead to an exodus of important players running out of patience waiting for silverware.

COYS

I hate to say it, because he;s had no service, and we haven't played to his strengths; Loriente (and Sissoko) out, Gareth Bale back in baby.....

If Real can't get Bale off the injury table, I don't think we can do better. Absolutely no to Bale. Luke Shaw is also not an option.

I would loan GKN out and get rid of Llorente.

I still like Jordon Ibe. Howe is happy that Bournemouth to keep passing the ball around for 90 mins without creating anything. He doesn't want to change his system to fit Ibe in. I think Ibe is a good passer. He add pace and width to our attack.

Barkley and Max Meyer are going to be free transfer. I would sign both of them. Maybe sign one of them Jan and let the other one join as free transfer.

There is a lot of logic in what you say. Bale would be a risk but would certainly be the world class replacement we need. As for the others you mention bringing in, as good as they are, they are not world  class. We have a very good top 4 squad but, imo, we now need to bring in world class players to raise us to being a consistent top European club. I accept that currently we appear to have neither the money to buy them or to meet their wage demands. However, I would be wary of simply exchanging half decent EPL players for others that could be classed the same level.

I personally haven't a clue as to how to bring in world class players as things stand. I am just holding on to the hope that Poch and DL continue to move us in the right direction.

COYS

Getting rid of sissoko is a MUST. He is completely a waste of space. An injured Bale is still ten times more influential around the club than sissoko. Richarlison would be a good asset as would zaha.  Our squad is NOT strong enough at the present time. Burnley, pikey, West Bromwich proves this. Coys. 

Rose left out again? Come on, what is happening here if it is not already a done deal that he is leaving in January. Toby at 28 on 50 grand a week and intimating the top level of our wage structure only being 100 grand a week is below what he is wanting, is looking like another candidate for leaving. Both Alli and Eriksen constantly being touted as targets and, if top 4 not attained, may well leave for EC football. If the worst happens and they go, replacing them at the level of fees we pay will be a tough if not an impossible task. 

What a change from 5 games ago when the future was looking so rosy. This transfer window is becoming to look absolutely crucial to get right.

COYS

Linked with Kondogbia as replacement for Dembs I really question Pochettinos sanity? Does he have a clue of his own team potential and the skills his players bring to the game? If anything Kondogbia is a replacement for Dier and Wanyama. Okay he is more technical but if it were up to me I would have signed Tolisso, cause he meets the expectations a deep laying playmaker must meet, but its too late now. 2 goals for Bayern against PSG. What I have learned through the years, our scouts wouldn't notice a talent even they are at the stadium. Watching Njie they neither have noticed Tolisso, nor Fekir and that tells me a lot. We made an approach when it was too late and made no sense to Levy financially. We could also have signed Nzonzi who had PL experience, when noticed that Dembs is an injury prone and needs replacement. But no, no reaction.Meanwhile Nzonzi have won the EL two times in a row for Sevilla! What are our options? 

Beside the fact that Sissoko shouldn't have signed at all, he would be a better option in midfield than at the flanks, but no, he is still more often used as a winger. Even Paulinho would be better than Sissoko. Anyway, if Alli would be trained he would also be an option as cm, but no, he is still told to do... wait, what exactly is he told to do? Although I like the lad I must say that Winks is absolutely not ready. Maybe he is good enough for cup games, but to be honest, he is an insecurity I wouldn't risk full 90 minutes even against clubs like Swansea or Burnley. But we could also go for a new midfielder!

As many other clubs we are linked with Dani Ceballos. A very talented young midfielder who make notice of him playing for the U-21 for Spain and become the best player of the EURO. Would be a nice player, but I doubt we can sign him and regarded to our positioning I doubt he wouldn't want that either. But what I can see is a loan and to be honest Real really owes us something. The thing is, we cannot risk to spend high for a youngster who haven't proved. He is good, but he would probably cost us 40 million. Thats why a loan with a signing opportunity at the end of the contract would be wise! 

Sometimes you would find players that aren't very glamorous or noticeable because of their "fancy" hairstyle or headlines in the articles, but so remarkable in their averageness that they become outstanding if you take a closer look. Similar to Rudy who was one of the most underrated players in Germany, before he gets the attention he deserves at least, is Pascal Groß. The new player from Brighton who just signed a contract in summer is dangerously underrated. With 3 goals and 6 assists at the moment he is one of the best at his position (only de Bruyne is better) and his rating is as good as Eriksens when it comes to creating chances! When you follow his development its not surprising. Instead to move to bigger clubs and keep the bench warm he decided to play for a small club to get his playing time. The PL is lunatic when it comes to transfer fees, but at 6 million he is a bargain, also because he could be used against lower or middle teams for sure.  

But as always, we won't react in winter. Drop points, lose key-players and won't even see EL next year. But the main thing is, we have a new stadium! 

I like Jonjo Shelvey. His playing style is like a quarterback, similar to Tom Huddlestone. I think he improved his fitness so he is not defence liability. His passing range could be really helpful. I think we need players with the vision for a killer pass.

Take care what you wish. I believe in an AC Milan sway and would rather concentrate on their flops than tops. The rumors about Suso are frightening me, first I don't trust the Serie A (cause I thing its a corrupted and an overhyped league), second the experience showed that everything turned to shit what Milan touches! 

(the real) Ronaldo, Kaka, Zambrota, Robinho, Balotteli, Pato, Schewa, Ibra (who was shit for Barca) and academy talent Mastour (they destroyed him)... I think Silva was the only player who succeeded from his time at Milan. On the other side you'll find players like El Shaarawy or Aubermeyang who have flopped at the Bunga Bunga Club, but succeeded elsewhere (St. Etienne/Dortmund, Roma) 

Now Lammy is back, we need an attacking midfielder and not a right wing!!!!!

We could target Liverpool striker Origi. He's on loan at Wolfsburg. Wolfsburg want to sign him to a permanent deal. Good young player with decent scoring record. He did well when he play for Liverpool. He and Klopp don't get along so Liverpool will sell him.

When fit, focused and happy I would say we are only behind City in term strength in depth and quality throughout as a first 11. For me I'd be happy to get 30-40mill in for both Sissoko/N'Koudon and put that in the kitty towards an attacking mf of partner for Harry. An that's the only question for me. Does Poch look to buy an out an out No:9 and play Harry with him an have Harry play that bit deeper or does he buy an understudy to Kane?

Personally I would like to the first option but! I have not got a clue who realistically we could bring in! So right now with my magic wand and Sissoko and N'Koudon gone I'd offer Palae 60-70mill for Zaha and continue with my favourite Son in behind H and decide to wait for our No:9 plus Barkley when fit/free in the Summer.

Cromulentmart likes this

We don't need to cash in big, when many cheaper options are to find. But it needs scouts of high quality to find them. We would have our perfect striker in Batshuayi. I understand Levy, 33 million is too much, but 40 million for Sanchez as well. The funny thing is that we could have signed him for 15 - 18 mill when we had react on time. I still believe it would be a steal to sign Ghoddos from Ostersunds, even he will need his time, he could be used in a part deal for Cenk Tosun, if we are really interested. But tbh Cenk is also another Harry Kane replacement. What I also don't understand is, why nobody is aware of the qualities of Basel striker Oberlin, who had some great games so far. Especially in the CL. Basel is also known for their talents. Rakitic, Xhaka and Salah just to name few and the price is very low in comparison with the ridiculous prices in todays football!   

Sure Zaha has his qualities, but as many times before, we are too late and this fixation on Zaha stop us from seeing new opportunities and to be honest before I pay 40 million for Zaha I rather spend the same amount on Mahrez. But there are also cheaper options to find. Baily from Leverkusen for example seems to have arrived in the german BL. The pacy winger can play both sides and is very tricky on the ball, same goes for the Brazilian Neres from Ajax, who keeps on were he stopped last season. Both are just 20 and play on a high level. Although I think the german league is stronger than the dutch, what explains Bailys actual  rating of 9 million. And we all witnessed what can happen to young forwards from the Eredivisie when they move to England without a stopover. Depay is the  best example, not to mention Janssen. So caution is required when scouting in Holland!

As others already mentioned, Barkley would be a good ad when we need more physical presence in the mid and I do think we need more options when Eriksen, or Dele have their menstruation and won't give anything to the game. Its funny, cause it seems they always have their period at the same time. Anyway, I want to use the possibility to introduce you one of my compatriots from Croatia. Many young guns from Croatia are compared with Modric although they have nothing in common with him. But I have made out one player, who really have similar attitudes. Modric started as an attacking midfielder, but was often used as a winger too. Lovro Majer can also play these positions and has interception qualities as Modric has. He is a fighter, have a great shot and have an eye for his mates and he is just 19 years old. No, he is not a Dinamo Zagreb player, he is playing for Lok Zagreb and has his regular playing time. 

We all know the day will come Rose will left us. From one of the most hatred players, Rose become the teachers pet and one of our popular figures. But 40 million for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon? Instead to look forward wisely and sign a proper left back, we accepted Vorm and Davies as apart deal for Siggy. Sure not bad, but not ideal. Ben is a hard worker, but we all know he is not first team material, although I'm happy that he got more runs out during Rose's absence. But IMO we should have signed Cresswell who would be Roses successor and who would make a great replacement for him. He and Trips were outstanding in the championship and similar to Trippier he would have cost us nothing. I dont know how many messages I wrote to our office, but was ignored as usual. Same for Telles who is one of Portos key players now. Not only that he is gifted with a great left foot, he seems to understand the way Pochettino is looking to play. A very offensiv minded defender who runs his socks off. He is great at crosses, thats why he takes the corner and free kicks and with his experience in different clubs he is a complete modern full back. But rated at 7 million he is still an option IMO. Baba Rahman would also be a great addition, who seems to be out of favor in Conte's Chelshit. At 6.5 million he is really fallen off and discarded as one of the best left backs I know and would deserve another chance. This lad is just 23 ffs!!!!

Ok. I think thats enough for today! XD

Not so much a transfer but a return! Reading Poch is considering terminating Carter-Vickers loan spell at Sheff Utd due to Toby's longer than expected injury. Makes sense!

1 hour ago, Royce 71 said:

Not so much a transfer but a return! Reading Poch is considering terminating Carter-Vickers loan spell at Sheff Utd due to Toby's longer than expected injury. Makes sense!

Probably has as much to do with the lad being English and qualifying as homegrown as anything. If he is judged to be playing well he could take Foyth's spot on the CL roster which opens up a foreign spot for Lamela. Just a thought. No doubt there is a lot of strategy at work here.

Royce 71 and stanmac like this

35 minutes ago, Neophyte said:

Probably has as much to do with the lab being English and qualifying as homegrown as anything. If he is judged to be playing well he could take Foyth's spot on the CL roster which opens up a foreign spot for Lamela. Just a thought. No doubt there is a lot of strategy at work here.

Never gave that a thought! Very smart!

Oh dear, it's started again. Some tossport journo or website invents a link with a player and all of a sudden the sanity of The Poch is questioned.

Also Danny Rose "hated" ? walob

Never by me and/or my fellow THFC mates, the only thing that upset probably all of us initially was the interview, but that is all forgotton now, and most have moved on. He is being integrated back into the side, and obviously wants to get back into the reckoning for the World Cup. the best place to do that that is with us...

Get a grip guys....

I still have a sneaky feeling that the Sessignon deal will come off in the summer, and if so, Danny Rose and THFC will have the options.

Royce 71 likes this

At the risk of Sonny being dislodged from the starting 11 I'd like to see us go for the Watford boy Richarlison. Until very recently I knew nothing about him but what I know now I like a lot. Still a bit rough around the edges (perfect for Poch and his staff to work their magic) still only 20-21? (perfect purchase for DL) can play wide or through the middle knows where the goal is! We would be able to offer him a better contract than Watford without it affecting our wage structure and if we could prise him away from Watford (taking into account these crazy inflated prices) for 30-40mill I think he could be the perfect January purchase!

I would possibly see him a better buy/target than a 60+million (26 year old) Zaha or sell Lamela (indifferent about this lad) and buy both!

Jannsen/Sissoko/N'koudon/Lamela out: £80mill? Richarlison/Zaha In: 90mill? plus Barkley on a free in the Summer.

What a test for Poch keeping (Trips/Aurier/KWP/Rose/Davies/Foyth/Cartet-Vickers/Toby/Sanchez/Verts/Dier/Wanyama/Dembele/Barkley/Winks/Eriksen/Dele/Son/Onamah/Richarlison/Zaha/Kane/Edwards and others happy!!!

Apologies! Got completely carried away there! Just enjoyed writing that squad out!:)