Welcome to Spurs Web

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Neophyte

2018 Winter Transfer Window

Started by Neophyte,

239 posts in this topic

Increasingly concerned 4th place is going to depend on this transfer window. Luckily so far Liverpool have not planned to spend their Coutinios wisely and Monsr Wenger is displaying the ineptitude of the last few seasons.

Disappointed with Poch but his luck may hold and we might sneak into 4th....if not there is always the future, the new ground,our best players refusing triple wages or wins in the FA Cup and European Cup. Thinking like Royce and James I also think I have a good chance at the Lottery on Saturday.

Introducing a smidgeon of reality....we are having a brilliant season but are still only 5th!!!!!

Jamesinashby likes this

And again, I understand when Poch is looking for a distance shooter and prefer Malcom over Neres, but if I'm ready to spend 40 million for a player I really question the competences of the scouting staff, who apparently don't recognize Baileys talent, who is exactly the same player like Malcom only better. But maybe the reason is simpler. Maybe they are going for Malcom, because they know they won't get Bailey. because Levy fucked it up and have treat Voeller and Leverkusen like shit in the Son deal! 

2 hours ago, Asc3 said:

Increasingly concerned 4th place is going to depend on this transfer window. Luckily so far Liverpool have not planned to spend their Coutinios wisely and Monsr Wenger is displaying the ineptitude of the last few seasons.

Disappointed with Poch but his luck may hold and we might sneak into 4th....if not there is always the future, the new ground,our best players refusing triple wages or wins in the FA Cup and European Cup. Thinking like Royce and James I also think I have a good chance at the Lottery on Saturday.

Introducing a smidgeon of reality....we are having a brilliant season but are still only 5th!!!!!

When it appears our five rivals are seeking to improve their squads and seeing how we are struggling so far this season to keep up with them, it is a concern that DL implied there may not be any buys this window. So it seems we are in for a bum clinching run in to the end of the season. For me the real concern is that are important players can get through the hectic rest of the season avoiding injuries. Where we lack depth is in cover for Harry, Dele, Toby, Eric and Sonny. Take away one or two of them and we seem to have blips.

I fear your 'smidgen of reality' is too close to the truth to be only a smidgen.

COYS

Asc3 likes this

And the players you have named suffer from a consistency problem...that is when we suffer the odd bad result. On our day we can beat anyone...but can our first team produce week in week out. Methinks unlike the 60/70's they have so much more to worry about...Millions in Wages, Personal Rights, Their Egos, Having a Top Team Haircut (Danny) and of course the next big money move.

Life ain't easy even if you have your own personal Chef!!! Chinese everyday for me!!!

Royce 71 and Jamesinashby like this

Spot on. Too many have morphed into having pop stars egos - often unwarranted. But then I am an old git and quite old fashioned in my outlook.

COYS

ps I don't blame the players as I wouldn't turn down the cash if offered to me. Nor would I play at half the wages I deserve, The sad fact of the matter is that the game is awash with money which has allowed the situation to get out of hand.

Edited by Jamesinashby
Added a ps
Cromulentmart likes this

Beside Klaassen what about James Ward-Prowse as Dembele's replacement? His two goals today reminds me about his talent. We have the Southampton connection. Poch knew him well. Guys like Toby, Wanyama played with him before. He is not a high profile player, not a regular in England squad. His price tag is not high. His set piece skill will be very useful.

He provides good competition to Winks for the starting place.

Mr8ball likes this

I don't think Southampton will sell him a couple years ago. James needed the chances to play at Southampton anyway.

However, after a couple manager changes, Southampton is heading to the wrong direction. They become a feeding club for Liverpool. They are more interest in the transfer business than building a good team.

We can offer a chance for him to get out before they sell others like Redmond and Bertrand.

When we play to our best as we did on Saturday, it shows why it is so difficult to buy in players this window. If you are looking for a replacement player, of our regular first choice players, there is none I want to see leave. If you are looking for cover for our best players, it is difficult to think of someone coming to mainly be a bench player, that is difficult. If they are good they will want more game time, if they are that good they will cost more and want higher wages. 

Rio Ferdinand has suggested as good buys for Spurs, Atlético Madrid's Yannick Carrasco and PSG's Julian Draxler who, apparently, are struggling to hold down a place in their respective teams. Also Mahrez who plays the majority of games for Leicester. My question is, who would you leave out of our current first choice players if one of these three came?

Bearing all this in mind, for which positions do you feel we need to buy and who do you think is available at the this current time?

COYS

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this

Good point James.

When everyone plays as well as they did yesterday,it's difficult to see who Poch could leave out for Draxler,Mahrez,etc.

It could be an option to rotate Dele,Son,Eriksen with those players we've mentioned.

It's what makes Man City so good this season,their ability to interchange their forwards and midfield players.

I would have liked Barkley,but now he's no longer an option,I'd love Mahrez to join us.

Jamesinashby likes this

If we spend 40m or higher on a player then he better be in the starting 11. I'm sure Draxler can replace Son, Mahrez can replace Dele or Eriksen. We are not MU so we can't afford to have a bench full of big name stars. Unless we are selling one of the star players, we don't need to spend this much. 

Rose will recover from his injury before the end of the transfer window. I don't mind if MU bid for him. We need the money so we can clear out some players like Llorente, Dembele, Sissoko more quickly.

Ibe scored the winning goal against Arsenal. Howe doesn't even know how to use Ibe but a couple of injuries forced him to put Ibe in the starting lineup recently. Howe's position isn't very safe. His luck may run out soon. 

The problem with players like draxler,carrassuco,Gomes ,mickhaterian ,,,,(cant spell),,,is the wages they are currently earning ,most of them are earning £200 grand a week ,,they are on long contracts and don’t have to move ,,,and they don’t wanna take a cut in wages,, ,,the so called big clubs have created this monster,,,,they have players they don’t want but can’t shift!!!!

Spurfect, stanmac and K.D.D.D.D.Soc like this

3 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

The problem with players like draxler,carrassuco,Gomes ,mickhaterian ,,,,(cant spell),,,is the wages they are currently earning ,most of them are earning £200 grand a week ,,they are on long contracts and don’t have to move ,,,and they don’t wanna take a cut in wages,, ,,the so called big clubs have created this monster,,,,they have players they don’t want but can’t shift!!!!

Reported weekly wages:

Draxler - €100K

Gomez - €80K

Carrasco = £32.3K

Mkhitaryan - £140K

Seems all but Mkhitaryan are reasonable to me.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, Asc3 said:

A few weeks back when it was deemed by most (myself included) we were having a "blip" my fears came to the fore that one or two, or three of our top players minds were else where!

Since then I have been reassured by performances of old so I am (you won't be surprised Asc3) with Poch and DL on this cautious January transfer splash-out! Why upset the apple-cart when Son, Harry, Verts, Dele, Eriksen etc put in performances like the one against Everton and Lamela/Wanyama and to some extent Toby will all feel like new signings! I understand strength in depth is needed with the domestic cups, CL and of course the race for top 3 but who is realistically available in January and why would Poch want to disrupt this squad right now! Yes 100% we need another striker (I would like to see us make a bid for Hernandez at The Pikies Gaff! Give them their 16mill back and I think he would be a star at The Lane on occasion along side Harry. Plus perhaps a mid-field player like Gomez but that's it until the summer imo!

Keep hold of Dembele/Rose until then too and maybe see if The Pikies might take Lorente off our hands in a deal with The Little Pea!

COYS!!

3 hours ago, Neophyte said:

Reported weekly wages:

Draxler - €100K

Gomez - €80K

Carrasco = £32.3K

Mkhitaryan - £140K

Seems all but Mkhitaryan are reasonable to me.

Gomes price surprises me. He looks like a typical player from Barca's academy, but because he came from Porto his price (transfer/wages) is so overrated and maybe the reason why Levy hesitates. But to be fair after the Neymar deal it was clear to me Barca will have to bleed financially! But tbh I'm not convinced that Barca is really interested to sell. Maybe they are interested in a loan deal, but not in selling him. He is a more valuable player than Paulinho. Have clever runs and can be used in more positions, all above his young age and the potential to develop. 

Carrascos wages make sense to me. Would he play more often and become as valuable as Koke or Griezmann he would be earn 5 to 6 times more. But he is inconsistent and lack the end product, but to his defense Athletico or Simeones way of football is not always playing to his advantages. 

Word this morning on Twitter among the press is that Edwards will be loaned out to a Championship side for the rest of the season to get first team minutes. Apparently there are a host of clubs interested in him.

Also lots of wondering why this didn't happen this time last year but as I recall Edwards was injured then. I also seem to remember him turning down a loan in the summer in order to fight for first team minutes at Spurs.

On 13. Jänner 2018 at 5:49 PM, TC1000 said:

Beside Klaassen what about James Ward-Prowse as Dembele's replacement? His two goals today reminds me about his talent. We have the Southampton connection. Poch knew him well. Guys like Toby, Wanyama played with him before. He is not a high profile player, not a regular in England squad. His price tag is not high. His set piece skill will be very useful.

He provides good competition to Winks for the starting place.

I followed the lad for a while, but tbh he couldn't meet the expectations. Was to inconsistent and couldn't really set a mark. But to be fair the last seasons were turbulent according to the management changes, many players came in and out, so the pecking order changed and he was also ruled out by a heavy injury for what I know. Reality is that he had one great game, in fact two great matches if you take the Cup match against FA Sessegnon. But as I said last week for Tello, one match doesn't say anything about a player and needs more watching. Especially in tough games against stronger clubs. The game against Watford was a sink or swim match and a clearance against a club that dropped in form. I want say, a blind hen will also find a corn, but it needs more watching to rate JWP properly. He will get his chance soon in the next match against us!

The next thing is where do you want to play him? If you imagine him as competitor for Winks okay, but Winks shouldn't be the standard IMO. And it looks he is more effective on the flanks than in the mid.  The interesting thing is when you search for JWP you will be automatically linked with Will Hughes using transfermarkt.de and in comparison they are identically stats wise. The only difference Hughes have the same amount of goals and assists in one-third less playing time in much less matches. And IMO Hughes is more the kind of player who could replace an aging Dembele rather than JWP. Defensively definitely. He would need more playing time, but as it looks the midfield is overstaffed at the moment.

Anyway, your boy Ibe attract attention mate! But here its the same. Although they played against a "stronger" team, Arsenal had to deal with many injuries at the moment and without their key players they do hard to win I guess. Even Sanchez wasn't playing, probably it was a sanction by Wenger, because of Sanchez transfer rumors. Anyway, what a win for Bounemouth and I hope Arsenals downward spiral will keep on

Edwards has completed a loan move to Norwich City for the remainder of the season. Reportedly no option to buy so he returns to Spurs in the Summer.

Cameron Carter-Vickers has been recalled to Spurs from Sheffield United. This is reported due to supposed displeasure over how his training there is going but I think it just as likely that the lad is homegrown and so could replace Foyth on the CL roster, thus freeing up another foreign slot and making it possible to bring in another player (Gomez perhaps?).

First post in this thread has all the official Spurs moves this window.

Royce 71 and Mr8ball like this

Well Neo,,with those wages (apart from 1) not being that high,,it does pose other questions about the players (and agents) desire to play else where ,,those players must all believe that spurs would be a move down the ladder!!! The player I would like is draxler !!!!but does he want us ???

also I believe poch wants new blood in the summer and not January,,,IMO it’s to do with players fitness levels and poch’s style of football,,,he has pre season to brainwash the new players 

Royce 71 and Spurfect like this

Also I really think that mr levy really does not like paying silly money to the agents ,,Man Utd are reportedly willing to pay Sanchez ‘s agent £5 million plus money to Arsenal,,and his wages !!

anyway going back to draxler you would have thought he would want football with the World Cup coming in the summer,,,,and watching real betis last night I would again suggest Cristiano tello he looks like a player who is beast that needs unleashing,,it’s a confidence thing imo

Royce 71 likes this

After reading about Victor Wanyama and his injury dark times,,,he reavelled when he arrived from Southampton he had to lose 7kg in weight,,which made him fitter and stronger,,,,,I believe this is the reason why poch doesn’t buy players in January,,,,they won’t be fit enough for poch and his team 

3 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

Also I really think that mr levy really does not like paying silly money to the agents ,,Man Utd are reportedly willing to pay Sanchez ‘s agent £5 million plus money to Arsenal,,and his wages !!

anyway going back to draxler you would have thought he would want football with the World Cup coming in the summer,,,,and watching real betis last night I would again suggest Cristiano tello he looks like a player who is beast that needs unleashing,,it’s a confidence thing imo

I agree regards DL reluctance to pay these leaches and I applaud him for it. All I want him to do is relent on our wage structure and pay to keep our top players and I then think the way our club would have gone about winning the title or Champions League will be all the more admiring!

Mr8ball likes this