Welcome to Spurs Web

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

spursGirl

When your partner isn't into football

Started by spursGirl,

Ok so have being seeing this lovely guy for about 2 months, he isn't into sport/football which I kind of got, I was on Instagram the other day with something Harry Kane had put on and he actually said to me "who's Harry Kane". I had a mouthful of tea at the time and nearly choked..... Lol. I thought even if you didn't follow football most people had heard of Harry Kane!!!

how do other forum members cope when their partners "just don't get football"...  ??? B

Cromulentmart likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, spursGirl said:

Ok so have being seeing this lovely guy for about 2 months, he isn't into sport/football which I kind of got, I was on Instagram the other day with something Harry Kane had put on and he actually said to me "who's Harry Kane". I had a mouthful of tea at the time and nearly choked..... Lol. I thought even if you didn't follow football most people had heard of Harry Kane!!!

how do other forum members cope when their partners "just don't get football"...  ??? B

With great difficulty, rows and long silences. Not only that, I have been made to miss seeing games because she has arranged for us to meet people. I was in danger of missing tomorrows game on BT but, for once got her to rearrange the meeting time from 4 pm to 3 pm so we will be back in time for me to catch the game. 

Sorry, but you are going to have to love him more than Spurs and even then it will be unbearably tough.

ps Sod's law being what it is you miss matches like beating Real Madrid but get to see the City game.  lol

spursGirl likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mrs hates Spurs but liked Gareth Bale (local lad, know his mum etc.).

I have 3 kids - a daughter who hates footie but married a massive Spurs fan and gave us a grandson who is a huge fan too.

A son who is an egg-chaser and not interested in footie, although completely understanding of our love of Spurs.

A son who is a massive Spurs fan and has a daughter who is getting there - she is even called Lily  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cromulentmart said:

My Mrs hates Spurs but liked Gareth Bale (local lad, know his mum etc.).

I have 3 kids - a daughter who hates footie but married a massive Spurs fan and gave us a grandson who is a huge fan too.

A son who is an egg-chaser and not interested in footie, although completely understanding of our love of Spurs.

A son who is a massive Spurs fan and has a daughter who is getting there - she is even called Lily  ;)

Your powers of persuasion clearly greatly surpass mine and I bow before you. I'm still getting the cold shoulder for getting her who must be obeyed to bring our meeting with friends in the pub forward an hour so I can get back in time to see the match on BT! 

COYS

spursGirl likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bride of 25 years is not a sports fan but luckily supportive of me. In turn I try not get to involved in a lot of different sports. For years my only serious sports vice was the NFL and the Redskins. I've been a fan of them for 45 years or more. That wasn't a huge deal for her as there are only 16 games a year.

With my gravitation away from the NFL and toward the Premier League, and my subsequent love affair with Spurs, she has adjusted. By and large she is accepting of match times (made easier by her being a late sleeper and the matches starting so early on this side of the pond). She gave me Spurs gear for Christmas last year and even got Spurs pajamas for the whole family.

None of which is to say she knows the names of the players or pays much attention to the matches herself even though she is a certified physical education teacher who has taught footie to kids. She recognizes names from my talking about them like Kane and Poche, and she loves to listen to a couple of the English broadcaster say "Dele Alli". Makes her giggle every time.

However, James, you and I are same boat as far as her scheduling things over matches. Doesn't happen often here but every now and then I'm left missing a game because she offered up our time.

spursGirl likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/12/2017 at 5:34 PM, spursGirl said:

Ok so have being seeing this lovely guy for about 2 months, he isn't into sport/football which I kind of got, I was on Instagram the other day with something Harry Kane had put on and he actually said to me "who's Harry Kane". I had a mouthful of tea at the time and nearly choked..... Lol. I thought even if you didn't follow football most people had heard of Harry Kane!!!

how do other forum members cope when their partners "just don't get football"...  ??? B

its all about compromise and trying new things. My other half is not really into football but does know a few players like Kane etc. We just do things fpr each other , she has been along to WHL twice now but probably won't go again and I have to go to musicals and take horse carriage rides on holiday.. Make sure the match times are known before hand and if you show how much you get out of watching then anyone you share your life with will understand. If they don't have enough empathy to understand that you love something then they are probably not good enough for you.

 

spursGirl likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25 December 2017 at 11:10 PM, Furrydice said:

its all about compromise and trying new things. My other half is not really into football but does know a few players like Kane etc. We just do things fpr each other , she has been along to WHL twice now but probably won't go again and I have to go to musicals and take horse carriage rides on holiday.. Make sure the match times are known before hand and if you show how much you get out of watching then anyone you share your life with will understand. If they don't have enough empathy to understand that you love something then they are probably not good enough for you.

 

Thanks all. To be fair I have had a few Saturday's where other half has been pottering around at home or doing laundry etc or dog to vet so I've just sat with my headphones on and bbc radio London commentary. He always asks how we have got on so is fine with it.....and actually the way we have played this season it hadn't been too much of a hardship so far - particularly glad I slept in and missed most of the Arsenal match lol !!!! 

stanmac likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pleased to say I rule the roost in our house over footie. Although my husband used to play years ago, left back and no one got past him, remember those days! Anyway, I choose to pay the exorbitant Sky prices to watch footie so when he moans not another game, I say think of what I’m paying and he agrees! He also says you should as you pay for it! I must be honest it is not just for my beloved Spurs, I watch all the Barca games and we try to see a couple of games a year. Messi is my weak spot, just love watching him.

I’ve watched some of the film The Lane very moving when Rowe and Greavsey get emotional, think I might need to watch on my own as I’m sure I will shed a tear! They also show Glenn’s last goal I was in my East Stand season ticket and I did shed a tear on that day.

COYS

X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mrs is not really interested in my interest in following my beloved spurs and actively encourages me to go to as many games as possible home or away (hang on is something going on here)although all my games are away games where i come from she even checks the calender to make sure nothing clash’s with games and if they do she has to go to them on her own or with someone else shame she can’t cook like delia or doesn’t look like kylie minogue as that would make everything perfect oh well can’t have it all but i think i got the best bit right.

SMD and Jamesinashby like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now