Welcome to Spurs Web

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamesinashby

Will he go or will he stay?

Started by Jamesinashby,

Journos will always push to get those they interview to commit to a statement. Poor Harry suffers this all the time about his level of loyalty to the club. During the previous two seasons when the plan was moving in the right direction, it was easy for him to say he was fully committed to Spurs and would love to see his career out with them. This season, the situation has changed considerably. There are six teams with the potential of getting a top 4 place. The number of teams capable of winning the EC is growing as is the number of teams in the mix for the FA Cup. The money footballers can make is becoming stupidly astronomical making keeping players at a club who can't afford them an impossibility. Therefore, as much as a player loves the club he started with as a boy and wants to stay with, the club has to be able to pay back the loyalty with trophies and remuneration.

Steve Gerrard remained with Liverpool despite not ever winning an EPL medal because he was still winning trophies including the EC. He could have left for more money but was more than happy achieving the level of wealth he did. Given similar circumstances, there is no doubt in my mind that Harry would see out his career wth Spurs.

However, we have to be realistic. Someone with Harry's talent deserves to be allowed to exploit it to the maximum. To do that, it is simply not all up to him. One man alone cannot bring success. The players alone cannot guarantee success. DL and Enic with the the manager (Poch) between them are the ones to make it happen. Also, as money drives the game, there must be the massive amount of cash available to do this.

As a club, we have come well along the path to achieve this. That said, for the reasons I gave above, the final push to becoming a genuine long lasting top European club has become frighteningly difficult. It depends on the gamble of a new stadium actually being capable of generating the astronomical amounts needed to do this. It depends on actually winning trophies and not just coming 2nd in the league or reaching semis or finals without winning.

My own view is this season is becoming critical and next season almost a last chance. we have two seasons to achieve that which we are aiming for without almost having to start all over again having lost our stars which possibly may include the manager. We have been lucky. The young coach showing potential actually did prove to be excellent. Our academy found and produced a striker that in 3 years rose to the 3rd best currently playing. A £6M buy in Dele became one of the hottest properties in European football. The likes of Toby, Son, Eriksen, Walker, Rose, Verts, Wanyama, Lloris all flourished to top class players. Even those on  the bench  by this season were capable players and some of the buys like Sanchez and Aurier ,though not the world's best are very good additions. This allowed us to become a very good side. If we fail and lose the best of these players, being able to do this all over again  is unrealistic. Liverpool, Woolwich and currently Utd are finding to their cost just how difficult it is.

My heart says, yes, all will be well. My head says that without silverware or at least a top 4 finish and at least  good runs in the EC and FA Cup to semi finals or finals  this season, it hangs by a thread and Harry will have no option but to leave with my blessing. He has done so  much for us I wouldn't deny him the chance to achieve everything thing a player of his ability deserves.

COYS

Royce 71 likes this

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

Journos will always push to get those they interview to commit to a statement. Poor Harry suffers this all the time about his level of loyalty to the club. During the previous two seasons when the plan was moving in the right direction, it was easy for him to say he was fully committed to Spurs and would love to see his career out with them. This season, the situation has changed considerably. There are six teams with the potential of getting a top 4 place. The number of teams capable of winning the EC is growing as is the number of teams in the mix for the FA Cup. The money footballers can make is becoming stupidly astronomical making keeping players at a club who can't afford them an impossibility. Therefore, as much as a player loves the club he started with as a boy and wants to stay with, the club has to be able to pay back the loyalty with trophies and remuneration.

Steve Gerrard remained with Liverpool despite not ever winning an EPL medal because he was still winning trophies including the EC. He could have left for more money but was more than happy achieving the level of wealth he did. Given similar circumstances, there is no doubt in my mind that Harry would see out his career wth Spurs.

However, we have to be realistic. Someone with Harry's talent deserves to be allowed to exploit it to the maximum. To do that, it is simply not all up to him. One man alone cannot bring success. The players alone cannot guarantee success. DL and Enic with the the manager (Poch) between them are the ones to make it happen. Also, as money drives the game, there must be the massive amount of cash available to do this.

As a club, we have come well along the path to achieve this. That said, for the reasons I gave above, the final push to becoming a genuine long lasting top European club has become frighteningly difficult. It depends on the gamble of a new stadium actually being capable of generating the astronomical amounts needed to do this. It depends on actually winning trophies and not just coming 2nd in the league or reaching semis or finals without winning.

My own view is this season is becoming critical and next season almost a last chance. we have two seasons to achieve that which we are aiming for without almost having to start all over again having lost our stars which possibly may include the manager. We have been lucky. The young coach showing potential actually did prove to be excellent. Our academy found and produced a striker that in 3 years rose to the 3rd best currently playing. A £6M buy in Dele became one of the hottest properties in European football. The likes of Toby, Son, Eriksen, Walker, Rose, Verts, Wanyama, Lloris all flourished to top class players. Even those on  the bench  by this season were capable players and some of the buys like Sanchez and Aurier ,though not the world's best are very good additions. This allowed us to become a very good side. If we fail and lose the best of these players, being able to do this all over again  is unrealistic. Liverpool, Woolwich and currently Utd are finding to their cost just how difficult it is.

My heart says, yes, all will be well. My head says that without silverware or at least a top 4 finish and at least  good runs in the EC and FA Cup to semi finals or finals  this season, it hangs by a thread and Harry will have no option but to leave with my blessing. He has done so  much for us I wouldn't deny him the chance to achieve everything thing a player of his ability deserves.

COYS

I have said before James, you and I are on the same page with this. We MUST keep hold of our top players and have them compete together at The Lane in 2018/19 season. This for me will be our litmus test. 3 full seasons behind us as a "constant" group the nucleus of which would walk into any other side in the epl. Plus the new stadia. For Enic to now NOT go that extra mile (relevant wage increases) to give us (the fans) and Poch the chance/opportunity to push on to that next level would be madness imo and I am slowly convincing myself that Enic and DL know this and believe this too and they WILL financially "accommodate" those players and we will see the spine of Hugo/Toby/Eriksen/Dele and Harry rewarded and at The Lane next season along with Dier/Wanyama/Verts/Trips/Sanchez/Davies/Sonny/Carter-Vickers/Kwp/Winks/Foyth/Aurier/Edwards along with January and Summer additions? Even without (needed additions granted) additions the above is a very tidy looking squad and with 55,000+ Spurs supporters roaring them on at The Lane............COYS!!

I think we might see, or not see to be precise............Rose/Lamela/Sissoko/Lorente? 80-90mill+ in the war-chest though!!

Edited by Royce 71
error
Jamesinashby likes this

We make a good team between us. I come up with the big overall picture and you dot the i's and cross the t's with the details. 

Beteen us we seem to cover the majority of angles from the theory to detail. Add to this the valuable contributions from Asc who adds the pragmatism that brings balanced reasoned sense to be arrived at. 

We are lucky with several posters on here who have a lot of in depth knowledge of players and football and I have learned a helluve lot in the 3 years I have been using this forum. It may seem there is sometimes opposing views, but neither are wrong really. What I have noticed is that some prove to be right but also we all moderate and even change our views at times if we then felt we were wrong. That proves that a lot of sense eventually surfaces on here due to our friendly discussions. 

Just my modest opinion.    lol

COYS

Royce 71 likes this

5 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

We make a good team between us. I come up with the big overall picture and you dot the i's and cross the t's with the details. 

Beteen us we seem to cover the majority of angles from the theory to detail. Add to this the valuable contributions from Asc who adds the pragmatism that brings balanced reasoned sense to be arrived at. 

We are lucky with several posters on here who have a lot of in depth knowledge of players and football and I have learned a helluve lot in the 3 years I have been using this forum. It may seem there is sometimes opposing views, but neither are wrong really. What I have noticed is that some prove to be right but also we all moderate and even change our views at times if we then felt we were wrong. That proves that a lot of sense eventually surfaces on here due to our friendly discussions. 

Just my modest opinion.    lol

COYS

Agree James!

The press keep this digging this up, and rehashing it, and then add at the end of their 'piece' that he has stated that as long as the club is progressing.... (and we are...new stadium, a good run in CL, still a great chance of being in top 4, maybe an FA Cup) and start winning trophies (which

are mainly won at the end of the season (league cup apart) then he will stay and hopefully break scoring  records at the club that he loves.

I am sorry, but I don't read ANYTHING different in this latest batch of walob stories. I'm surprised that any THFC fans get so stressed about it. It's not news anymore.... IMHO

Cromulentmart likes this

On 09/01/2018 at 9:33 PM, Tonto911 said:

The press keep this digging this up, and rehashing it, and then add at the end of their 'piece' that he has stated that as long as the club is progressing.... (and we are...new stadium, a good run in CL, still a great chance of being in top 4, maybe an FA Cup) and start winning trophies (which

are mainly won at the end of the season (league cup apart) then he will stay and hopefully break scoring  records at the club that he loves.

I am sorry, but I don't read ANYTHING different in this latest batch of walob stories. I'm surprised that any THFC fans get so stressed about it. It's not news anymore.... IMHO

I accept what you are saying, but I doubt if any of us really get stressed by that which we read. It is more we are all wanting news of what is going on and the media, searching for this information, is a source for us to look at.Some of it is their assumption of what is happening and often proves to be wrong. Equally, there is truth out there and reliable information which is why we look at it. 

I personally don't get upset by rumours I find hard to believe. On the other hand, if that which is reported carries a ring of truth, I don't dismiss it out of hand as 'journo' nonsense.

At the end of the day, it is up to the individual to take from it what they will. So I disagree that when some on here talk about 'news' they are actually stressed but simply hoping that it is right or wrong depending on what they would wish for. For as I said, not all in the papers turns out to be wrong.

Just my take on it.

COYS